Onion soup is a recipe based on caramelized onion, this soup appears in the 14th century and was originally a humble dish that prevailed in the famine era.
This soup gained fame in the 19th century in Paris when it was customary to have a hot drink in the early morning, like a night snack.
Ingredients for the gratin onion soup
- 6 large onions
- 30 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 60 g of butter
- 2 clove of garlic
- 2 liters of meat broth
- Baguette-type bread slices (necessary quantity)
- 3 tablespoons of wheat flour
- 20 ml of brandy or cognac
- 100 g of gruyére cheese or grated emmental
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Parsley amount needed
Preparation of the gratin onion soup
For the soup
- We cut the onions into brunoise or juliana and book.
- We cut the garlic very small and fry it in a pan with a little oil and butter.
- We let brown, and then add the previously cut onions and let them cook until they are transparent.
- At this point, we move very well and add the brandy or cognac and let the wine evaporate for about three minutes.
- After the time, we add the flour, salt, pepper and move to avoid lumps.
- Finally, we add the meat stock and let it thicken.
- We chop the garlic and the very small parsley
- We take some butter and melt it for a few seconds in the microwave or in the kitchen
- We added garlic and chopped parsley to the previous mixture along with a little pepper.
- With this mixture we spread the baguettes and take a 180 ° C oven for about 5 minutes.
For the employee
- We put some of the onion soup in a small bowl or bowl.
- Then we add one or two baguettes over the onion soup and put enough cheese on top.
- We raise the oven temperature to 200 ° C and carry our bowls for 5 to 6 minutes, or until we see that the cheese is gratin.
Nutritional information gratin onion soup
For every 240 ml
- Calories: 113 kcal
- Protein: 7.53 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.43 g
- Sugar: 6.69 g
- Fat: 3.49 g