Fattoush or Fattush means moist bread in Arabic. This is a very typical salad from Arab countries, such as Syria and Palestine as well as Turkey from the eastern Mediterranean.
This salad is made with different vegetables accompanied by flat bread, such as bread that is cut into strips or squares that can be fried or roasted.
Ingredients for the Fattoush Salad
- Four cups of lettuce.
- Three twigs of peppermint.
- Three sprigs of parsley.
- Two medium tomatoes.
- A cucumber.
- Two medium radishes.
- A purple onion.
- A lemon.
- 50 grs or 3 servings of whole wheat bread
- Three tablespoons of Zaatar (a popular mix of species)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation of the Fattoush Salad
- We start with the pita bread. The first thing we must do is cut it into thin strips or squares. Then we have two options to cook it, we can fry it in plenty of oil or do it from the microwave or simply from a frying pan.
- Then we cut the lettuce into pieces, the tomatoes and the cucumber into medium squares, the onion and the radishes in juliana and reserve.
- Finally, we cut the leaves of peppermint and parsley finely and, we add this to the previous mixture and remove.
- Once everything is mixed, we add the juice of one lemon, zaatar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, we add the pita bread and integrate very well with the rest of the ingredients.
- It is advisable to mix all the ingredients a few minutes before serving, so as not to remove the crispness of the pita bread.
- We must be very careful when seasoning, since zaatar is a little salty and acidic, so we must try the salad before adding a little more salt.
- If you don’t dare eat the whole wheat bread, you can replace it with paleo bread or some aubergine chips that also look great.
- We can serve this rich and light Fattoush salad with a delicious roasted steak, a baked chicken or simply taste it alone, since, being very light, rich and containing so many vegetables, it would not be necessary to add a companion.
Nutritional information Fattoush Salad
A 100grs portion. contains:
- Calories 113 kcal
- Protein 3.0 g
- Carbohydrates 14.0 g
- Sugar 0 g
- Fat 5.0 g